Thursday, February 18, 2010

Big changes a-happenin'.....

Well, I've gone and done it.  I finally made the leap of faith that I'd been fighting with myself over for....oh, you know, a YEAR.  My family needs my attention.  So MUCH so, that I don't have time for other things right now.  So I've decided to close up the Dancing Princess Designs shop, at least until they're all in school and I'll have some time during the day.  It was not an easy decision, it was not necessarily a supported decision, but I have peace about it, and so I know it was the right decision. Even if I have to talk myself out of changing my mind several times a day. 

So here's the rundown:
In My Kitchen: Well, it's clean,...and I have a big crockpot full of pinto beans a-cookin'.  The kids adore Bean Burritos.  I also have some pecans I pulled out of the freezer sitting on the counter....gonna have to come up with something to use those in.....maybe Pecan Tassies....

With Our Marriage:  I made a page for Mario for Valentine's Day....I challenged myself to come up with at least 10 things....and I did it! I can hold my head high, LOL.


With My Children: As mentioned, I am now a full time and then some mom.  It will be hard, but I have confidence.  I came across a book that I knew my family needed, and so I bought it.  It's called "Parenting a House United: Changing Children's Hearts and Behaviors by Teaching Self-Government" by Nicholeen Peck.  WOW....can I just say WOW.  Applying the  principles taught in this book have made an improvement in my home already, in the less than a week that I've had it.  Most of them have been in my own heart as I try to master Self-Government so I can more effectively teach it, but I've seen improvement in other family members as well.  Can I just say....It's well worth the time to read it. 
Although there are differences among our family members in our "Family Vision" I have faith that time, and love, and Heavenly Father, can make the changes in our hearts to bring our family to a place where we are united...in vision and purpose. 

Sophia is heavily invested in Volleyball (and she's not the only one).  Her team took 13th place out of 111 teams at a recent Las Vegas Tournament.  They have a local one this week, and then after a week off, they'll be in Denver for a Qualifying Tournament (whatever that means, LOL).  


Alanna has holes all over her mouth.  She's lost so many teeth at once, that she's got a fun new look.  She is improving her Spanish, and many times will respond when spoken to, without even realizing that she's made the transition, and without hesitation over the words.  



Isa turned 8 last week, and will be baptized on the 6th of March.  She has discovered that (like Alanna) she likes to read really big books, so Harry Potter has been a familiar character in the family of late.


Ellie....I've learned (or realized that I already knew) that Ellie's love language is touch.  I can motivate her with hugs, I can calm her down with hugs...it's almost too easy!  I'm still working on the other kids love languages, but I'll get there.  She's been struggling a little, as her school teacher's husband passed away recently, and I think that's been a difficult thing for Ellie to process.  But we're getting there and she's a smarty pants.


Gabby...how on earth am I going to keep this kid challenged?  She can write her letters, she's reading small words, she can spell her name, and she's 3 1/2.  I'm afraid...I guess it's just one more reason why my time is 100% theirs now...with no distractions (well, at the end of the month anyway, when all my store responsibilities are completed).



Sammi-bambo...she's had so much attitude lately as she tries out the behaviors she sees in her sisters. It's been a little challenging, but she's usually pretty easy to coax out of a bad mood.  We're still working on potty training...she knows how to do it, but lacks motivation. We're trying a sticker chart this week.


Around the homestead: It's been a tough few months.  Mario's car died the 2nd of January and we've been operating with one car while we figured out what to do.  This has been predictably difficult.  But we hope to have the Nissan back this weekend, and for things to ease up a little.  I have a huge list of home improvement projects that need to be done, or ones I'd like to have done, as well as a plan to make a daybed with trundle for Isa and Gabby's room.  We found this great blog with blueprints for all kinds of things, and I'm excited to get started. 

My Inner Man: It's been a month of interesting experiences.  Learning to love people whether or not they display loving behavior towards you, learning (even when someone is VERY wrong) to try to see their feelings and/or the motivation behind their behavior.  Learning to maintain a "Soft Voice." I hope that as I perfect these skills, I'll see even more changes occur in my home.  I've read my scriptures and exercised every day so far this week, and am hoping to make this a permanent part of my routine.  It's been sorely lacking lately.  I've also been called as the Primary Chorister, which has been a fun challenge.
Came across this in my scripture study this morning, and it seemed particularly applicable to me of late: Alma 58: 37 and 40
But, behold, it mattereth not - we trust God will deliver us, notwithstanding the weakness of our armies, yea, and deliver us out of the hands of our enemies.......they (stripling warriors) stand fast in that liberty wherewith God has made them free; and they are STRICT to remember the Lord their God from day to day; yea, they do observe to keep his statues, and his judgments, and his commandments continually; and their faith is strong in the prophecies concerning that which is to come.
Emphasis is mine. 

 

One of my fantastic Creative Team members challenged us to make a page about what we like about ourselves.  Wow...talk about hard.  But I did it.  

Spring is coming....I can feel it.  That alone is cause for celebration!
Anyway, look for more blogging, as I chronicle my adventures in mothering 6 dancing princesses....

6 comments:

Lessa said...

Well done Jenn! That has got to be rough giving up the digital scrapbooking thing for a bit, but I'm sure your family will benefit tons from your sacrifice. That book looks interesting... I bet Lessa will be interested in it.

Natalie J said...

I like all the pages you put on here. I know both you and your kids will benefit from you not being so busy. Maybe that will even mean more playdate time :) Now that I am not bbsitting, I am as free as a bird.

Anonymous said...

You go girl!

Melanie said...

I'm so glad. Sooooooo glad. I loved the update. It's inspirational.

I look forward to more posts.

Lessa said...

Congratulations Jenn! I know how hard it can be to take those leaps of faith. I am really inspired by you and your decision! So thank you for that!

Gina said...

Hi there,
I don't know you, I stumbled onto your blog and it's very inspiring!
Way to go!!
Thanks for sharing :)