Wednesday, February 27, 2008

At least I still have my sense of humor

Today is just one more day that I dangle over the precipice of a nervous breakdown. I wish it would just happen already. I just can't catch a break.

I'm not sure why "Be On Task" is such a difficult concept, but these kids aren't getting it. Again we were rushing around this morning trying to get out the door to school on time, and nobody's homework was finished or where it was supposed to be, and nobody could find their clothes, and nobody had anything good to say about the hot cereal we were having for breakfast. And "somebody" didn't run the dishwasher last night, so there were no clean dishes. I thought I'd be organized and put in a load of laundry this morning, only to find that the washer isn't rinsing and spinning properly. Now, in its defense, I do have to say that "washer" and "dryer" are 14 years old and have been faithful for all those years. But I still have to rinse and wring by hand the entire load of towels that is sitting in there waiting for me.

After specifically asking Sophia if she had put her stuff away this morning, and receiving an answer in the affirmative, I got to call my close friends at Poison Control (1-800-222-1222) and talk with them about Gabby's mid-morning snack of Secret Platinum Clear Gel, which she found on Sophia's bathroom counter, not to be confused with her early morning snack of chapstick, of which she ate a whole tube.

And my van is making a scary sound. I hate that.

And then I was thinking this morning right after Alanna hit Ellie because Ellie was trying to move Alanna's backpack that wasn't where it was supposed to be and "I'm on the verge of a breakdown" went through my head. I thought, "why am I always just "on the verge?" Why doesn't it ever actually happen? I could sure use the break." And then I thought that maybe it is because my kids need me too much, and so there you have it. I can't have a breakdown. But just in case I'm wrong, I'll send you a note from my padded cell.

1 comment:

Natalie J said...

As sad as I feel that you are always stressed, your blogs always make me chuckle. You have a very good way of writing that puts a comical twist on things. just know that crazy or not, you are loved!